To: Dad, My Best Friend

*phone rings*

"WHAT'S UP, LITTLE BUDDY?" 

As many of my friends and family members know, my dad calls me at least once a day. When he hears my voice, he'll kicks into his normal phone call opening with a higher pitch in his voice and a slight northern accent. If you know my dad, you know what voice I'm talking about. It didn't matter if I was on a trip across the country or in the middle of class, he would always call, and I would do my best to answer.

Some of those phone calls will last two minutes because I've got somewhere to be. Lots of times they'll be in the 20-30-minute range. Those calls are long enough to carry on a regular conversation that includes a couple jokes, a rundown of how our days have been going, and what's going on at home. 

Every now and then, however, the calls will be over an hour, which could come from a lost track of time or too much time on our hands. On this Father's Day, it's good to look back on those conversations, those beloved phone calls, and appreciate the time I get to spend with my best friend in the whole world.

Momentary Highlights

When I was growing up, my relationship with my dad would consist of him holding me and my other siblings in a towel singing "Have I Told You Lately that I Love You" by Rod Stewart, attempting to teach me how to catch a football in the front yard, and lots of tickle fights. At my sister's wedding, the memories of our youth flooded my mind in a bittersweet sentiment. I loved every moment, but I never took advantage of them.

Once I started school, Dad would drive Abigail and me every single day, Isaac would soon follow. Some days we would sing the smash hits of U2, Coldplay, and Duran Duran whether or not we knew the lyrics Other days, we would listen to the 8:00 AM radio news with Doug Limerick whether or not we understood what was going on in the world. Most days, we would be worried about getting to class before the 8:10 bell rang. My siblings and I embraced the anxiety of the weekday drive, but I took them for granted all the same.

From the weekend out-of-town lunches to the daily door-to-door grind before primary voting, my time as a son of a state politician had its moments of greatness. I got to meet people I wouldn't normally care for or dream about; I missed class to go to the State Capitol Building to see my dad do his jobs; and I had the honor of paging numerous times during the session. But, the thing I loved the most was seeing my dad do his job and do it well. Instead of him standing on the sidelines rooting for me throwing touchdowns at football games, I had the pleasure of seeing him on his big stage making plays. I knew those times wouldn't last forever, and I took advantage of every moment that came to me.

I could go on and on about the football stories shared with my dad. From the early mornings at the practice fields to the late nights throwing the ball after Life Champs flag football games, Dad wanted to see me succeed no matter the cost. He was my number one target and number one coach. He never ceased to hype me up when I did well or correct me when I struggled. Even when my time on the football field came to an end, he was with me every step of the way, and I couldn't be more grateful.

Great Should Be My Gratefulness

If you're sensing a pattern, the older I got, the more I cherished each moment spent with my dad. Now that I'm in college, my time as a "kid" in his household and dependent on his tax records is waning. I need to embrace and be grateful for every moment. It doesn't matter if I'm ticked off at him or not, David Sanders is my dad, and he's the only earthly dad I got. He didn't have to be as kind as he was to me, nor did he have to make as many sacrifices as he did. He chose to do those things, and the best I can do is love him. If you know my dad, that's all he could possibly ask for.

Dad, on this Father's Day, there are so many more things I could say to you. Truly, truly, I am blessed beyond measure to be called your son. From the highest highs to the lowest lows, you have been with me through it all. When I preached my sermons, you were there. When I broke my neck, you were there. When I got my high school diploma, you were there with outstretched arms. Words cannot express how grateful I am for all you have done, and all you will do in the future. You have served the Lord with gladness, and you have served our family with your whole heart.

Has it been perfect? Of course not, but it never is. Through the good times and the bad, you have stuck with us. I wouldn't be in this world without you, and I couldn't make it in this world without you. You're my best friend, my movie buddy, my biggest critic, and my number one fan. 

I am grateful for every hug, every phone call, and every moment remembered or forgotten. I will remain grateful for all that you plan to do until the Lord calls us home, where we will spend eternity together with the perfect, everlasting Father.

Here's to you.

Happy Father's Day.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Note Before Your Star-Spangled Sunday

The Age We Grew Up Wishing For

The Common Grace of Common Sense