To: Mom, My Hero


What should someone say to the person they could not live without? Over the last week, that question has been pulsing in and out of my mind with the expectation of a blanket answer. Why has this been the case? Because at the end of that week and the beginning of the next one was Mother's Day, of course. Mothers have been the solid ground of our lives. They are the nature and nurture to which we are molded into greater people, from the little humans of childbirth to full grown adults trying to navigate their place in the world. Mothers change our diapers, wipe our tears, give us the honest truth, and refuse to leave our side when we need them the most. They brought us into this world, and they will not hold back the notion that they could take us out of it.

My mother is a teacher to many, a friend to all, and a good dancer in the eyes of few. She gets freaked out when I nearly miss the exit. She laughs when I get embarrassed, and she loves to color coordinate beach outfits as much as the next person (If you want evidence, check her Facebook). She loves to cook. She loves to sing, and she loves to fold laundry while watching the most cringeworthy Hallmark movies. She will fight for the truth. She is not afraid to speak her mind, but she is willing to admit when she's wrong. 

She has given birth to five kids, taught hundreds of students to sing, and listened to a countless number of audiobooks. She has inspired me in my walk with Jesus, my love of Broadway musicals, and my strong dislike of things "that are just slightly off." She loves to care for her dog, cat, and fish. She loves to watch hummingbirds and transform spaces into her own. She has supported me when I wanted to be an NFL quarterback, a pastor, and now a lawyer. I could go on and on and on and on, but not everyone wants to hear that, right? 

So, dear reader, what do I say to my mom on this day? Thank you.

I have consistently over blown my solutions and undersold my problems, yet my mom has been there with me every step of the way. She has been my biggest fan. Screaming from the bleachers of elementary football games and hustling backstage during musicals, my mom has remained a constant in my life. "I love you," may get the relational point across. "You're the best," may explain her spot in the ranking of women in my life. Even the "#1 Mom" mugs cannot do justice to all that she means to me. So, thank you gives the best explanation to how I'm feeling about today.

Thank you for the nightly meals that rival the greatest restaurants.

Thank you for the encouraging conversations that provide unmatched wisdom. 

Thank you for all the hugs and accepting all the hugs from me at weird times during the day.

Thank you for being my greatest teacher during junior high, high school, and all the steps in between.

Thank you for yelling at me when I needed to be yelled at.

Thank you for preaching the Word to me when you didn't even recognize it.

Thank you for setting a high standard for who I hope to marry someday.

Thank you for being 100 percent you, 100 percent of the time. 

Thank you for being one of my biggest heroes and greatest friends.

In a world where people constantly want to bring attention to themselves, you shine your spotlight on others. When you get celebrated, you thank the people around you. I do love you. You are the best. You are "The Number One Mom," but all I can say and need to say today in celebration of your ministry to this family is... thank you. Today's your day. Here's to you.

Now, dear reader, you may be wondering, should I write a 800-word blog post for my mom? You don't have to, but you don't NOT have to write one. If your mom is with you, say thank you. If she's not with you, thank God for all that she has done. Say thank you today and every day following. Display that thanks and live that thanks through acts of kindness and gratitude throughout the year. She works hard and deserves it. For all the motherly figures in your life, love them, take care of them, and never take them for granted. They are blessings to this earth, and the gifts that keep on giving. 

To all the moms reading this, thank you. Thank you for your love to your families, sacrifice for the greater good, and striving to meet the goals of making this world better than you found it. We wouldn't make it without you. You are the everyday heroes this world needs. Thank you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Age We Grew Up Wishing For

A Note Before Your Star-Spangled Sunday

The Common Grace of Common Sense